by Michael Candelario
This article originally appeared on Charlotte Five.
For something necessary to life, water is often overlooked in our day-to-day lives. Sure, we drink it and we take showers, but how often do we spend actually thinking about our water quality? Luckily for us, Charlotte Water is always thinking about the quality of the local water system. Here are five reasons locals should love Charlotte Water.
- Local Beer: Love your local Charlotte beer? Well, Charlotte Water is the best pre-beer in town. After all, of the ingredients required to make beer, water is by far the most abundant component. This is also one reason why “drink local” is so meaningful to the craft beer movement. An IPA brewed in Charlotte will be different from the same IPA brewed in Colorado, or even Raleigh, because the water profile is different. For more information on brewing with Charlotte Water, check out this helpful blog post.
- Water Safety: Charlotte is a young city. Three quarters of the city’s water system was built since 1990. Since lead was banned in 1986, you don’t need to worry about lead.
- National Acclaim: Charlotte Water competitively manages a nationally-recognized laboratory to test everything from metals (23) to bacteria in your water. The lab is certified by the National Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program.
- Public Transparency: Residents of Charlotte can access current and historical water quality information anytime with this regularly updated data map provided by Charlotte Water.
- Constant Availability: Charlotte Water is available to its customers 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. And that’s saying something. Charlotte Water treats an average of 107 million gallons of drinking water and 80 million gallons of wastewater every day. If any issues arise, all a Charlotte resident has to do is dial 311 to receive professional help.
At a time when crises are afflicting numerous cities’ water infrastructure, residents of Charlotte have a lot to be thankful for in Charlotte Water. For more information, visit the official website.